Sunday 22 July 2012

Monoprints tryout




The beauty of having the press set up and space to work in as that it gives time and space to experiment. I love learning new techniques but I am not a very good student so trial and error have been my two main teachers in life that I can credit with some form of 'edukacion'.


I started with an owl. I find it a wise move as I like them and I can copy my woodcut image as seen on here earlier. I like both the positive and negative image but I think I maybe over inked the glass.


Next I tried adding more colours by cleaning the glass re-inking it and then repressing.


I am still finding too much ink on the glass in places I want shade and not darkness...


Trying less ink I did this large poster sized print. My fave so far and its called 'sweaty trainers'


Next I tried inking the glass then taking a light impression just to take the top layer of ink down a bit.


I am loving this technique even though it only gives me one print I am starting to think I can do multiples by thinking about the image I am going to use the method for.


The dark lines are starting to come out dark and I am now able to shade using my finger. I am also getting a slight print/darkness/smudge from where my hand catches the paper but I really like it. The negatives aren't so great now the inking technique has evened itself out.


Now I am happy I will close the day with 'Sweaty trainers 2'. I will sleep happy tonight and dream of things I can draw and print this way tomorrow.

I also had the company of fellow Artistic Off Licensee, Johnny Morrall. Who after finishing his wonderful woodcut on the presses and then joined in the fun with a very apt little piece. 


Nice one Johnny... Oh and Andy of course.




No comments:

Post a Comment